This easy herbal salve can be used on bug bites, cuts & scratches, or eczema.
It is super easy to make and gentle on your skin.
- Olive oil
- Dried comfrey root, dried comfrey leaves, dried calendula blossoms. If you do not grow your own or have a local source, www.mountainroseherbs.com is an excellent company!
- Shea Butter
- Lavender essential oil
- (A curious kitty- see bottom right in the ingredients photo- is NOT required! 🙂
- Fill a clean quart sized mason jar with dried comfrey root, dried comfrey leaves, and dried calendula blossoms.
- Fill jar with olive oil and place the lid on the jar. I let this mixture sit for about 6 weeks, shaking the jar occasionally. I keep this jar in a cool, dark place.
- After about 6 weeks, drain the herb & oil mixture using cheesecloth or strainer into a saucepan. (The goal is not to have any bits of herbs in the oil mixture.) Add about 1/4 cup beeswax pellets or shavings and about 1/4 cup shea butter and heat on low heat until shea butter and beeswax melts. Add several drops lavender oil and pour into clean glass jars.
- Let salve cool then add the lid.
- I store my salve in a cool, dry place. If you live in a hot and humid environment you could always keep the salve in the fridge. You will just have to warm with your fingers before applying.